February 2, 2020

The Nine Year Anniversary of the White Stripes breakup is a palindrome


Nine years later, it's 02/02/2020 and the day is a palindrome.  


The White Stripes were a bit of a paradox, so it's fitting that this would happen on one of their anniversaries.  Here's one of the best songs that Jack White will ever write, recorded by the Stripes back in 2000.  Listen carefully to catch the cleverly off-beat rhyme scheme in this tale of young love, bowling, and jealousy. I'd credit one of Jack's favorite songwriters, Bob Dylan, for the story song influence, but my pal Peromyscus once said this song was like "Chuck Berry for the current generation", which is probably more accurate.




I took my girl to go bowling 
Downtown at the Red Door 
After an argument I started 
'Cause I thought she didn't like me anymore 
I can't help it sometimes I feel pitiful 
And of course she's so young and beautiful 
I bought us two glasses of Coke 
That's her favorite 
And I wanted to make up for earlier 
But I dropped her glass and it broke 
So I just gave my glass to her 
She laughed and so did I in our lane 
And then she went to the vending machine 
To buy a candy cane 
But right next to that was a boy I knew 
With a spring in his hand 
Playing a country pinball machine 
Called "Stand By Your Man
I saw him talk to her 
But I stayed in my lane 
And played my game steady 
And was thinking of a day 
When I'd be too old to throw a ball this heavy 
But I guess I'm young now 
So it's easier to knock 'em all down 
Then I looked and saw her say to him 
"You're really hittin' that ball around
And so he's lookin' at her the way I did 
When I first met her 
I could see in his face 
White flowers 
And cups of coffee 
And love letters 
I was sorry to interrupt their game 
But I went and did it anyway 
I dropped my red bowling ball 
Through the glass of his machine 
And said "Are you quick enough to hit 
This ball, Mr. Clean?" 
I was scared to lose her 
So I couldn't help bein' mean 
And that ended both of our games 
I said I was sorry 
But my girl left with him just the same 
I thought how much I hate 
When love makes me act this way 
I was bent over a broken pinball machine 
In a bowling alley and I threw it all away 
Well isn’t it all just a big game? 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment